[BSD-RP] Soul Society: Rukongai

DioNaraka

Administrator
Staff member
98635bf3b7a645407f859551e1820d80.png

"Thank you. Lady, Ten'yuu, when I have garnered some respect once again from the Gotei 13, and the Oki allow me into our home once again, I ask that you accompany me. They'll be happy to see you."

Ten’yuu stops at the door and smirks, she doesn’t bother to turn around when she addresses Honoka.

”Oh, I’m sure they will be. Until next time, Niece.”

She opens the sliding door and closes it behind her as she leaves. The chirping of Cicadas can be heard outside which creates a rather peaceful atmosphere enough to make one forget whose home they are currently occupying. Accompanying the chirping is the faint breathing of the young girl left behind, a girl whose future seems to be placed at the center of issues concerning nobility. It is clear Ten’yuu is not forcing it upon the girl considering she put her to sleep to avoid hearing the discussion. First, among all else, she must be raised and trained into a proper warrior fit to serve the Seireitei, all other concerns come second to this.

After a bit of time had passed Munashii finally began to stir and awaken from her “nap”. She looked around a bit confused at first, primarily wondering where her grandmother went. She glances over towards Honoka with a confused look on her face but quickly becomes defensive, quickly scooting back from the tea table. She frowns and squints her eyes, glaring at Honoka.

”Oki lady!”

All the girl knew about Honoka is that she was an Oki and furthermore she was related to them. After a bit of silence she cautiously returned back to the table, staring at her the whole time. The girl thinks she is analyzing Honoka by trying to read her facial expressions but she clearly has no idea how to do that. She crosses her arms, closes her eyes and gives a firm nod, with a condescending smirk on her face.

”Heh, I can tell just from looking at you that you’re strong.”

She puts on an obvious facade about her observation skill, the longer they sit in silence the more she begins to sweat nervously, eventually opening up an eye to look at the disgraced Oki. Eventually she opens the other, feeling embarrassed by her own actions, it seems like that social awkwardness Tenzen suffered from had somewhat passed over to his daughter. Thankfully hers is nowhere near as bad and she will easily outgrow it. The signs of this are obvious as she quickly salvages the situation by asking a proper question to break the ice.

”So… You were in the Kenpachi games, right? That means you’re strong. Are you stronger than my dad?”

The question is innocent enough, a child wanting to know if someone or something is stronger than their parents. In the eyes of a child there is no one stronger than their parent, if they need to be protected they can always run to and rely on them for that. Ordinarily the question can be answered with a generic response but this is not an ordinary question. First it was her tone, there was no cutesy innocence in her tone, she asks it as serious as a child, who is mentally and physically a 12-13 year old, can possibly ask. Then there were her piercing dark brown eyes accompanied by a frown, they stared directly into Honoka’s own eyes. It should be clear by now that this girl does not have thoughts about play time, or dress up, she only wants to know about and learn about fighting. Although, this does not diminish her childish pallet as she chomps down on another snack cake while holding such a serious expression.

Elsewhere on the compound Ten’yuu strolls past a building and upon reaching the end of it a towering monolith of muscle and aggression comes into view, leaning against said building. Yurui, with arms crossed and eyes closed, was waiting for Ten’yuu to walk by, or rather he placed himself in her path of travel. He opens his eyes and speaks to his sister-in-law.

”Are you sure it’s wise to leave her alone with that woman? The Oki don’t seem like the trustworthy type. Ah, no offense.”

Ten’yuu only laughs, covering her mouth as she does so.

”None taken, but the same can be said for us Oda as well. We aren’t exactly subtle with our actions or intentions. Speaking of subtlety, how has Ikkyō been?”

Yurui lets out a disgruntled sigh before speaking.

”Still sick, but she is getting better as time passes.”

”That is pleasant to hear, and have you heard from your son Ochitsuki? Seems like he has been ‘radio silent’ for the past one hundred years.”

”From what the Nikushoku Semi (肉食セミ; Carnivorous Cicada) have seen he is well and alive, looking stronger too.”

”Wonderful news to hear as well.”

Yurui scoffs and looks away from the woman as he pushes himself off the wall and begins walking away from her.

”We have to look out for each other, our family is frighteningly small compared to the other nobles.”

”Tuh, all the more reason to keep an eye on the brat.”

The man vanishes with Shunpo leaving Ten’yuu to only chuckle alone, as hard headed as Yurui may seem his heart is in the right place. It is not as if eyes are not already set upon the building along with a doting grandfather lingering not far from the Tea room. It is not because it is Honoka who is visiting, anyone would have been treated like this, it is simply family looking out for family.

Gin

88e5e5a6c6a92e04dd8804bf49c73469.png

e80b7461ca42670e8e45925398ec8ac5.png

Lost in thought, the woman remains silent as she contemplates her next move. To be able to speak to her family once again, she'll need some rapport. Her gaze transfers from beyond the open window, down to the fragile cup of tea between her hands, as if entranced by the swirling liquid held within, she thinks on her current situation. How soon would her rank change within the third division simply by teaching students? A time table was nonexistent, it could take decades, or even centuries.

"Oki lady!"

Her train of thought is derailed as the young Oda princess calls out to her, the girls previous state of confusion lost to her in her pensiveness. Honoka doesn't make a move, simply looks at the girl as she scurries away, then inches back like a startled kitten, resulting in a small chuckle to escape the woman. Honoka has no intentions of harming the future generation of shinigami, quite the opposite, now she has to educate them. Perhaps one day she will come to tutor the young girl in lessons, but for now, she smiles at the girl, in an effort to ease her worries that no harm will come to her.

"Heh, I can tell just from looking at you that you’re strong."

"You flatter me, Lady Munashii. Just from looking at you, it appears you will become quite strong yourself. I look forward to seeing you in my class in the future."

The girl's moxie was a redeeming quality that caused her to stand out among others her own age. Neither Masahiro nor Haruki expressed such... liveliness. It was rather refreshing for Honoka to witness such a spritely child. The woman stifles a giggle at the sight of the girl's mild panic as they sit in a short silence and the young girl's awkwardness seeps through her poorly fabricated façade.

"So… You were in the Kenpachi games, right? That means you’re strong. Are you stronger than my dad?"

"You are correct, I was. Some may not agree with you, given my rather early withdrawal from the games."

The cup of tea is gently set on the table as the woman begins to stroke her chin, contemplating the girls question. There was no rea way to answer that. While Tenzen sat amongst the Captains, she sat with no rank. The girl probably had no clue to her own previous position as the Head Lieutenant of First Division, nor would it have mattered. Her silence continues as she begins to consider their different abilities in the shinigami arts, as well as what little information was available for his zanpakuto from his captaincy test all those years ago.

"That's a hard question, I think you're tougher than the interviewers from the festival. Hm... I could be stronger, but he could be faster. Perhaps we'll have to fight to find out, wouldn't that be fun?"

Strength amongst them was defined in such obscure manners, while it was simple enough in divisions themselves, fighting to establish the strongest within their ranks, for those in captaincy, already at the pinnacle in their own divisions, it became harder to establish who was the most powerful amongst those donning the haori. While one punches harder, another uses their cunning with spells to ensnare their opponent, and another masterfully swings their blade. And exactly how strong was she? She could fight her way through the ranks, one after the other, or pick the highest seated member, but then, that in itself would do little to determine her true abilities. Perhaps this was the answer she was looking for all along. Was she as strong as a captain? Stronger than?

Her face appears to light up at the mention of fighting Captain Oda, it had been eons since she went all out in a fight, her chance at the games squandered by Captain Nakamoto, and a previous one by the tactics of Captain Mukuro. It seemed that every obstacle in her way donned a haori. Centuries of complacently within first division under the service of the previous commander dulled her blade as she worried over the entirety of the Gotei 13. Now, with her diminished responsibilities, she is able to focus on not only her own ambitions, but those of a singular division.

"Thank you Lady Munashii, believe it or not, you've been a great help to me." The elder pauses briefly as she thinks of a question of her own. "Tell me, what do you think makes a good captain?"

Perhaps an odd question, but the perspective from the point of view of a child is one often overlooked or simply ignored. Honoka is curious to what the princess's reply to this will be, so she sits quietly, sipping her tea, patiently awaiting the young girl's response.

Last edited:

DioNaraka

Administrator
Staff member

The young girl sits silently and listens to Honoka, if anything she is a good listener, something her grandmother knows well hence why she was knocked out. She absorbs everything she hears as it helps her form a perspective of the world around her, and her perspective of people. Her perspective of Honoka sees her as a warrior, same as all the others who entered the Games, and despite how nice she is being she can equally be mean. In her childish mind Munashii equates the word mean to dangerous, a term she is not quite familiar with yet.

"Tell me, what do you think makes a good captain?"

It doesn’t take the girl long to answer the question at all.

”POWER! You have to be strong and scary to be a Captain! You have to be unstoppable! Even that kid who beat you is strong and scary!”

Once again Munashii is using the term scary in place of dangerous. Even though she has the perspective of a child she still has warrior blood in her veins, so even though she is spouting the first thing that comes to mind it is not without some instinctual basis. In her immature eyes power is an umbrella term, it encompases everything, not just Spiritual Energy or physical strength, it is a combination of all those things that make a person powerful. There are Shinigami in the Gotei Thirteen who currently see Yu Nakamoto as weak due to his appearance but this small child can see him as a colossal monster. Even Honoka Oki, who sits here as a dropout from the games, appears as a mountain that cannot be scaled without certain death. To Munashii, the woman is scary and that excites her tremendously.

”One day I’m going to be stronger than you and my dad! I’ll be a Captain and I’ll be the center of everything like the Sun!”

She points straight up, openly and boldly declaring her childish dreams without hesitation or stammering. She truly is a girl who walks with her head held high as the stars above and speaks as if she will obtain all her dreams with her own hard work and her own two hands.

”Oki la- Wait… Ummm Hono-ka… Yeah my Grandma called you Honoka. Honoka! You are strong and scary! So you can be a Captain too! And if you’re still around when I grow up I’ll be a Captain with you!”

Obviously manners are lost on the girl as she calls Honoka by her first name once remembering it and abandons honorifics. But she makes declaration after declaration with the utmost confidence that every word she speaks will come true. If obtaining one's dreams can be considered a victory then only the bold may obtain their dreams. Victory does favor the bold after all.

Gin

88e5e5a6c6a92e04dd8804bf49c73469.png

”POWER! You have to be strong and scary to be a Captain! You have to be unstoppable! Even that kid who beat you is strong and scary!”

Honoka claps lightly, bemused by the girl's immediate response. The girl's pedigree is evident in her answer, power, strength, ruthlessness are all that are valued amongst the Oda.

"Very well put! You're right, he was incredibly strong, I'm lucky I lived!"

She didn't deny the Captain's strength despite her loss, didn't show bitterness at the results. That performance was not a true test of her strength, but in time, it will become evident where she will stand. It is only a matter of time and patience. The ruthlessness of the other participants was not the least bit surprising, an assassin, a born and bred warrior, a drunkard from the most dangerous districts of the rukon, the newly appointed kenpachi, and the list continues. It is often those with kinder dispositions, those that appear calm and collected that are often overlooked simply because they react... differently. Such is the case of Yu and Honoka. A butterfly and a flower, two icons hardly deemed dangerous, their skillset and cunning is what turns the tides in their favor.

”One day I’m going to be stronger than you and my dad! I’ll be a Captain and I’ll be the center of everything like the Sun!”

She offers a cheering gesture to the girl as she declares her goals to don her very own haori in the distant future. The girl had large shoes to fill is she hopes to begin and continue a legacy within the Oda as they produce a captain with each generation. Munashii would have a lot to learn before being ready to overpower the Oki or her own father, perhaps in the future she will come under her tutelage to expand her horizons, to learn not only what the Oda raise her with, but that which the Oki have to offer and more.

”Oki la- Wait… Ummm Hono-ka… Yeah my Grandma called you Honoka. Honoka! You are strong and scary! So you can be a Captain too! And if you’re still around when I grow up I’ll be a Captain with you!”

"I suppose you're right. Then I'll become a captain and wait for you to sit beside me as an equal, future Captain Oda."

While she entertained the girls wild fantasies, they weren't exactly baseless dreams, she has every opportunity to grow and succeed. To learn from different sources and combine everything into an arsenal of her own, to evolve beyond the current sitting captains. And now it was Honoka's duty to nurture these young saplings so that in the future, they take over the next generation, protect the world of the living and the soul society, as well as the balance of souls. She is determined to make fine soldiers of them, bettering their chances of survival against powerful enemies, and in turn yielding a generation stronger than the last.

Last edited: